Last Sunday marked the 85th Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, and it was full of surprises, interesting musical numbers, and hot red carpet looks. It was definitely a night to remember!
That’s why I decided to compile a list of the Top 5 things to remember from Oscar night! Here’s all of the night’s best and the night’s worst:
1. Seth MacFarlane: This years host had some very mixed reviews. He opened up the night with a very slow twenty minute or so skit that contained a “We Saw Your Boobs” musical number for all the night’s actresses, Channing Tatum waltzing with Charlize Theron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt dancing with Daniel Radcliffe, a Chris Brown and Rihanna joke, plus a sock puppet reenactment of Flight. So, the question is, was he overstepping just a bit? Most fans of Family Guy loved the funny man’s take over of the Oscars, but most others thought he was distasteful and didn’t take the seriousness of the night into full consideration. Personally, my favorite number of his had to be the song for the losers he sang with Kristen Chenoweth at the shows end.
So, what did you think of his hosting? I’m not sure the Academy thought much of it. In fact, Jimmy Kimmel is already in talks for hosting it next year.
2. Jennifer Lawrence: This girl was on fire the entire night! No Hunger Games pun intended. She was clearly one of the Best Dressed of the night with her Dior au couture gown that was fairytale princess worthy. On top of winning best dressed (in my opinion), she also won one of the night’s biggest awards, Best Lead Actress for her role in Silver Lining Playbook. With that win she also got a bunch of people talking. From her trip up the stairs with which Hugh Jackman ran up to help save her, to her flipping the bird playfully at the press room after the show, to an interview where Jack Nicholson jokingly flirted with her. There’s really no way we can ignore this girl!
Side Note: Jennifer Lawrence is now in the news for apparently seen smoking what looks like weed in Hawaii.
3. The Heart Warming Speeches: The winners for Best Speeches of the night have to be Anne Hathaway, who won for Best Supporting Actress in Les Miserables, and Ben Affleck, when accepting the award for Argo as Best Picture. Anne Hathaway was near tears and started off her speech saying “it came true”. It truly was amazing to watch her accept that award. As for Ben Affleck, he accepted the award when it seemed as if the award would surely go to Life of Pi after all of it’s wins. It was one of the few films that won Best Picture without winning (or even nominating) the Best Director award. He made a heartfelt comment to his wife Jennifer Gardner and teared up at the end. How sweet!?
4. The Music: This year was the first year that the Oscars ever had a theme. Since the theme was music in cinema, it was full of multiple performances and may have made the audience question whether or not they were watching the Tony’s! Amazing performances by the cast of Les Miserables, Chicago, and Dreamgirls. There were also tributes to James Bond with performances of the song “Goldfinger” and “Skyfall”. Plus, Barbra Streisand took the stage at the In Memoriam segment of the night. However, the best music had to be the speech cut off music. What better way to scare an Oscar winner off the stage then playing the Jaws theme song?
5. Things That Made Us Go “What?!”: That’s right. The night was full of shockers. From Kristen Stewart making an appearance on crutches and with a bruise on her arm with little explanation besides “stepping on broken glass” to Michelle Obama announcing the Best Picture winner, Argo. Also, the Producer of the Oscar winning animation short, Paperman, was supposedly kicked out for 10 minutes after throwing around paper airplanes after the win! There were definitely things that were extremely unexpected. On top of all that drama, Britney Spears attended the Vanity Fair Oscar’s Party as a brunette and The Onion tweeted that Quvenzhane Wallis, the youngest Oscar nominee ever in the Best Lead Actress category, was the C-word. They later publicly apologized.
So…WOW. What a night! Don’t forget to leave your comments below about Hollywood’s biggest night and now all we have left to do is wait for the surprises that this next year will bring.
I certainly can’t wait!